Looking back on the ways I used to pack I shudder. I packed too much, I’d forget things and leave the destination feeling like I only used a fraction of what I brought.
Here are a couple things I wouldn’t go back to and I recommend you do the same.
- Not “rolling” clothes. Packing traditionally you’d fold the clothes neatly and push them down hoping to make enough space. What you get is an easy way to make a pile of clothes that all have wrinkles where you so neatly folded them. It’s not fair, but that seemingly “right” way to pack isn’t so efficient. Thankfully you have the option to roll your clothes. It saves so much room and leaves your clothes without any wrinkles! Try it next time you pack and see for yourself.
- Packing full-sized products. Not sure where I was going with this one, but I’d always bring the big bottle or the big jar along with me.There’s no way you’ll need a couple months worth of whatever for the length of you trip. I started to think of myself at home and how much I actually go through as compared to imagining myself on vacation wishing I had all of everything. It’s not realistic and it’s just too much.
- Speaking of too much…OVERPACKING. Think of it this way, you have to lift that heavy suitcase full of stuff you can’t live without. You’re making it harder for yourself. Look at each item and really think “Do I need this?,” “Will I actually get this on?” Sometimes we get a little out of hand thinking that since you don’t wear something at home it’ll work on vacation. Just to let you in, you won’t wear it on vacation either.
- Not taking care of jewelry properly. When packing, or in a rush, or packing in a rush there’s the thought that the necklace will be okay, or the bracelet will be fine with the other jewelry. However, when you unpack you discover a ball of jewelry that you won’t be able to untangle. It’s frustrating and with a little more consideration you can have jewelry that is ready to be worn.
- Packing too last minute or packing too early ahead of time.There’s definitely a packing sweet spot. If you pack to early you might start wearing stuff out of the suitcase out of necessity, if you pack to late you’ll forget things. The perfect time to pack depends on where you’re going and for how long. Most trips I’ve found 2 days before is just about right.
Well I’m off to keep packing! I’ll be back in 3 weeks.Let me know if you have any packing tips or ideas!